Internet Girls Day - Data Literacy
To celebrate International Day of the Girl (11 Oct 2021), Dr Zhao joined an online panel hosted by Ade Adewunmi (Strategy and Advising Manager, Cloudera Fast Forward), with Jen Persson - Founder, Defend Digital Me, to discuss children's digital rights in the new landscape.
The recording of the video can be found at [YouTube].
Jen particularly recommended a wonderful list of public reading for parents and audiences who are interested to learn more about this topic.
- Algorithms of Oppression by Safiya Noble(NYU)
- Automating Inequality by Virginia Eubanks (Macmillan)
- Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil (Penguin)
- Hello World by Hannah Fry (Black Swan)
- Artificial Unintelligence by Meredith Broussard (MIT Press)
- The Age of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff (Profile Books)
Last but not least, please do check out the valuable resources developed by Cloudera along with their new book for the children and families: A Fresh Squeeze on Data.